Tuesday, July 19, 2011

UB's Playground

Terelj National Park is known as Ulaanbaatar's Playground.  It's a short ways away from the city geographically, but miles away in temperament.  Because it's so close, we haven't really done much there - when we have the time and enthusiasm to get away, we try to go further afield.  But feeling lazy over the Naadam holiday, we thought it was time to dip our toes into Terelj.  

It's a fun area of fields, rivers, and rock formations.  The most popular formation is Turtle Rock, which is what we chose as the starting point for our ramble.   
Andy plays mountain goat.
Yup, looks like a turtle.
                

















We made it right up to the rock at the top, but then bailed in the last ascent rather than face possible death.






 At the end, I had the brilliant idea to take a short cut through a possibly boggy section back to the car.  Any other year, and we'd have been fine.  This year, one of the rainiest on record?  I'm just thankful I kept my shoe on.


No comments:

Post a Comment