Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lake Khovsgol - the jewel of Mongolia

  
We just returned from a wonderful 4 day weekend at one of the main attractions of Mongolia - the beautiful alpine lake Khovsgol.    Some of the highlights of the trip:


1) Murun airport (also spelled Moron, which, let's face it, is more fun.)  Flying in a small shaky puddle-jumper from Ulaanbaatar, I was reassuring myself that I had given visas to train in the US to so many EZNis Airlines pilots that chances were, this guy was also very good.  I looked down right before landing, and turned to Andy.  "We're coming down on a dirt field."  Yup, our first landing, and take-off from a dirt runway!  Strangely, we then taxied over to the paved runway by the airport.  Not used to make it last longer?  Who knows. 
Clearly, a lot is going on in the airport parking area.  The outhouse restrooms are on the left.

2) Khovsgol is north, and is therefore yak country.  Lots of yaks.  We also ate yak milk butter and cream every day.  Yummy yaks.


3) There's simply nothing to compare to sleeping snug and warm in a ger while the rain patters down and the night gets cool.  Best sleep ever. 
View from our ger out over the lake.

And I haven't even gotten to the best part yet... the lake!  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment